9.06.2007

another pictureless blog..

sorry everyone. once again i can't put pictures on at the moment, but i will work on it...but as alina so eloquently put "real bloggers don't need pictures..only many many many words to paint pictures.."or something like that.

well things have been wild and crazy around here. in the past 2 weeks we have consolidated twice with all of peace corps for hurricanes. but all is well. it has been flooding like crazy. roads and shops have been flowing like rivers, but the great thing is, is that a little flooding doesn't stop anyone around here. they will just keep on shopping in 2 feet of water and continue to sit and watch people go by on table tops while the water runs beneath them. the flood has also brought out some great road kill. there are frogs, crabs, and turtles lying about all dried out like worms all over the place.

so between hitch hiking and going to todd's park we have also found some GREAT entertainment. apparently, beauty pageants are a BIG hit here. they are all over the place almost every weekend. however, unlike at home, they don't bother to disguise the fact that it's a "beauty" pageant with words like 'scholarship'. they are just blatant about it. the one we went to was called, "miss bamboo." there were a whopping 4 contestents. it was everything we hoped it wouldn't be. and in the middle of this uplifting family event there was a beer drinking contest. classy. it was great.

we are slowly getting into our jobs, which is about as fast as it can go here. at the park they pretty much just boss todd around and he spends most of his time there clearing trails with is machete. everytime he suggests something, mr. ramon just says, "that's right, that's right." and goes on whistling and ignores him and does what he wants. i'm trying to bring a "woman's touch" to the visitor center. just kidding. actually i just sweep it out and reorganize it and stuff. so are the lives we lead.. oh and we got beach cruisers! so we are trying to feel more normal by riding bikes around and making cookies whenever possible. we miss you all! hope you are doing great! keep posting and don't let life "blog" you down! just kidding.

10 comments:

Gil said...

hello murdocks,
so this is the first time i have gotten on a liberal blog. not sure what sean and rush would say. looks like an awesome time. i sent you an email also. Todd i am still looking for a job for you. I don't think it will be too difficult. Email me sometime.

Gil said...

Just an after thought Ash, why don't you enter those pageants. I thought they loved American women down there.

Chelli Bernhisel said...

Ashli! I am so happy to hear from you and see your blog!! We were all thinking about you and saying it wasn't the same without you there at the shower last night! I just have to say, "You are amazing!" I think what you are doing is awesome! I am glad you are safe from the hurricanes. I also think you should enter the beauty contests!! I love all your pictures and can't wait to see more when you can. WEll...this is long! Sorry!!!
Love ya!!
Chelli

McKell said...

I am in total agreeance, Trash should be in the beauty contests! I think I would fly down to see that. Ash the Tigers are being hung (not in a deathly way) tonight. I will post pictures ASAP. Is it okay if we name them, or did you already? We were thinking something like The Lioness would fit. I miss you guys so much, but I guess the machete chopped trails needs you more than me. I love you guys.
-oh and maybe you should get engines for your beach cruisers, you will be instantly cool.

Timothy & Kimberly Pettitt said...

Wow...hurricaines! Scary! But beach cruisers...now that is fun! PS...thanks for the birthday wish...it meant a lot!

mare said...

wowee. very well written ash. i can pretty much garauntee that your beauty pageants there are more classic than ours here in brigham. brigham. we're talking peach days-is-our-only-highlight-in-life pageants. At faculty meeting on Friday, I had an hour long discussion with another teacher about how awesome miss dairy farmer is (if that's even what it's called). I immediately ran to the bathroom and threw up (lose weight and get rid of yucky talks at once!)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear about the cruisers. I miss you a lot lately. Rob keeps saying lame puns that remind me of you (I shouldn't even feel the need to say "no offense" because I know how you love your puns)

wild murdocks said...

Sorry I haven't commented lately, I've just been too busy being spiritual! he, he...Speaking of spirituality, did you hear that Janine was made the RS president? (But keep it on the down-low, it isn't official yet). With a high councilman and a relief society president, the family is sure be translated soon--with me left behind for making inappropriate jokes!

How are things lately with you both? I am so giddy about the beauty pageants! Please go and take pictures to post! Please!"Pretty" pleeeeease?!

kisses and machetes

wild murdocks said...

I'd also like you to find some exotic pet to ride around with you in a basket on the front of your bike. Maybe a lizard or exotic bird? It could also become the mascot for the park. You could Have it wear a little park ranger hat.

wild murdocks said...

I sent you a delightful song on facebook.

Anonymous said...

Ashli, You are the very bravest girl that I know. What a grand experience you are having! It was so fun to read your blog. Being a grandma is the very best thing I have ever done. Wait until you see Jack - he is adorable. We miss you so much and cannot wait to see you and hear about all of your experiences - hopefully at Christmas! We love you - stay safe! Oh, and a very happy belated, belated birthday! You must joint the beauty contest and take many pictures - I am sure you are the most beautiful girl in Belize!!! Just wear the same red shoes and you will win for sure! Cindi