9.23.2008

26. a year of firsts. a marathon and a massage.

Well, it happened. and we didn't die. which is what i thought might happen. it was my first and todd's third.
this is around mile 22. notice i am staggering in the background. we had some helpful encouragement at this point. thanks guys! todd's family and jez and sara kept us going. unfortunately my family couldn't make it. my mom was making crafts with my sister in tooele for super saturday. i was hoping they would have a hand painted "good job" at the finish line, but maybe next year.
jez titled this picture "pumping up the jam." that was all i could muster.
now this is fun. this picture and the one below it is a little contrast between todd's last marathon and this one. creepishly you can hardly tell todd is the same person. he has just changed so darn much.

and the theatrical finish. not todd's best marathon time, but i think the greatest accomplishment is that he somehow stayed with me the entire race. overall it was a great time. i was expecting it to be a little more dramatic, like more runner's trotting and what not. we had a few classic annoying people yelling out motivational one liners like "who owns this marathon?? the people in bed? no we do!" it reminded me of when i worked at wendy's and our manager would yell out while flipping hamburgers.. "Quality is my speed limit!" so. actually we were surprisingly happy the whole time. i kept thinking that at some point i would just wish it was over. that came around about mile 24, but for the most part there was no where else i could think of that i would rather be. i just wanted to experience every step of it. so for all of you who are considering one, if i can do it, so can you. and to all of you who were my inspiration, thanks! it was awesome!

11 comments:

Amber said...

Wow, congratulations! That's awesome and an incredible accomplishment. The best part is that you did it together. Good job Ash! (pretend that I painted that on a piece of wood for you :P )

mare said...

so, when you texted me and said you were running a marathon, you weren't kidding. hm. well now i feel a little sheepish. just kidding, i hate when people say sheepish. stupid sheep.

what i mean is, wow bud nice work!! i can't believe you did it. do you feel somewhat like dying? after emery, running feels like death to the boobs. curse breast feeding. but i don't know how much "turbo-kick" i can take down at the gym with all the other utah valley-ites. oh to be running with you and jez at 2 in the morning on a frigid logan day again.

well pal i'm dang proud of ya. maybe next year i'll be the holding the hand painted congratulations craft.

mare said...

speaking of marathons, remember how i write one on every dang post??

Debi said...

Wow Ash. You really did it! Congrats! and cute hair.

renostar said...

Yay I'm so proud of you guys!! I laughed out loud and startled those around me when I saw the comparrison of Todd's after marathon photos. Pretty darn similar!
Now I am all pumped for an "after baby half marathon" this summer. You game, Ashli??
You guys are awesome and we love you!!

miranda said...

I'm so glad we were there and got to watch you cross the finish line- that is such an accomplishment! I love the pictures while your running, especially the one with Todds mane of hair bouncing as he runs! You guys did great! Way to Go!!

dana said...

I am totally in awe of both of you! You are so amazing!! And wrong ... you may have succeeded but there is no way I could do this. Not even 20 years ago. Way to go!!!

tiffy girl said...

wahoo! you guys are so cool. seriously, that is a great accomplishment. maybe someday I could cross that finish line too. good job guys.

Chelli said...

Congrats on the marathon! That is so awesome.

Lincoln and Alisia said...

holy cow. congrats. I honestly don't think I could ever run one... you are amazing

becca said...

we - are - Pround - of -you,
i say, we-are-proud-of-you! how's that for annoying cheerleading?