4.09.2008

rook on, chess gang


Chess in Belize is getting 'royally' out of hand. we are trying to keep each other in 'check', but we are both so far 'pawn.' this last week we have been living and breathing chess. it has 'captured' our every moments. we started a chess club in january, and we had our first official tournament this week and went to a training for it last week. we couldn't even sleep. all 'knight' we dreamt of chess, and every time i woke up, visions of chess strategies would pop into my head. i had about 4 different games going through out the night. the tournament was a hit. our kids are between the ages of 9 and 11 and have names including: ivan, ivor, boris, cliver, henry, and cesar. every night about 14 kids come to our house and shout at our gate asking if they can practice chess. announcing the winners was heartbreaking and figuring them out was a nightmare. there is a reason why the nerds took over chess in the states. we can only take four kids to nationals in belmopan on may 3rd. they are all so cute, and we wish we could have taken them all. but congratulations to the winners: Henry, Jason, and the brothers Ivan and Ivor!

11 comments:

Jill said...

first i love that closet picture, because i can't get enough of gray. (even altered gray)

that is so awesome you're in charge of a chess tournament, and i can't believe you're taking a group to nationals! you need to post a picture of that for sure. it sounds like so much fun (i love chess, but i'm bad).

xoxo miss you

Sara said...

Ha! i almost couldn't handle the amount of puns you were able to use. but if anyone can find a spot for them, you can ash. congratulations. Hi. i miss you. i feel like i havent seen you guys forever. i love you!

J. Melody said...

I knew you were gamers, but I didn't know that involved chess. We need you back in SLC for late night Settlers and Tikal. The tournament sounds awesome. Good luck at Nationals!

mare said...

I just have to get this off my "chest". Ok, I have nothing to say but wanted to try my hand at your ridiculous number of puns. You always have had a gift, 'mate'. I hate it. My brain is scrambling trying to keep up. Oh how I love and miss you.

miranda said...

You guys are so good!! Sounds like so much fun!! Hey I saw some concert tickets for you guys at moms house the other day!! It will be so much fun! I"m excited you will be coming!!

renostar said...

Hooray for puns! This sounds like the makings of a great documentary film...if only we had the talent, video camera, time, and money to make it. What little money we do have is on Boris.

Kate said...

You are so funny, and I loved all your whitty comment here. What I love even more is as my favorite couple I have no idea who was writing, you are both SO funny! I miss and love you both!

Janine Murdock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janine Murdock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McKell said...

Hey chess in the states is not just for nerds. Me and River both really like it!

I kind of left 2 comments using moms account, which is why there are 2 deleted. Sorry Mom :)

wild murdocks said...

I'm a little sad that no girls made it into the tournament?

Hail Todd and Ashli the "king and queen" of chess!

take pictures