5.18.2008

unequipped for human existence.?


sometimes things feel right. then we think that means they will be easy. our last week has been somewhat like a root canal. and almost literally when i was getting 3 cavities filled in belize city. saying goodbye to belize, silk grass, and our friends was one of the hardest things we have ever done. we want you all to know that we love you with all of our hearts. our last night in silk grass was quite fitting. we cried with our neighbors, prayed in a circle holding hands with our branch members, hugged our chess kids goodbye, and sold/bartered every item in our house in less than 15 minutes to loud, dominating, kriol women. next thing we knew, our bed was being taken apart, our stove was getting loaded in a truck, and soon we were all alone in a blue empty house with our sad dog. so we cried for a while, cleaned the house, and slept together in one hammock and woke up about 4:30 the next morning and got ready to go. we had to leave ed. it was one of the saddest things ever. but for those of you who don't hate dogs, he has a new good home. some of our friends came and said goodbye to us at the airport and after a lot and a lot of tears we got on the plane. that's when we came to a strange realization. i guess some people just aren't born to be comfortable with regular. and somehow two people in this world like that found each other and sat on a plane laughing and crying about how it is to be unequipped for human existence. and it feels a little weird to feel so lost at home. but we are so happy to see our family and friends here-- we love you all so much too. so here's to peace corps. thanks to everyone who made it such an amazing, unforgettable, and hard to leave experience. and thanks to everyone here for welcoming us all back with so much love. oh heck, we just love you all.

19 comments:

Jill said...

oh ashy, change is so hard. such a mix of emotions. but welcome home all the same! what are you up to next?

Lincoln and Alisia said...

It really is so hard to leave the people you love. But at least now you get to use really soft toilet paper again!

Anonymous said...

YEA!!!!! WELCOME HOME!!!

Kasi French said...

Ash ... I can only imagine, I had hard time leaving college for the summer! I LOVE YOU!

Chelli said...

Very bitter sweet! We are so happy you are home! Are you close to me? If so...I want to see you soon!

J. Melody said...

It's hard to express those kind of emotions in writing, and yet you did it so perfectly. Glad to have you back! Here's to partying it up this summer in SLC (well, as much as we can with 2 kids:)

miranda said...

Change is always hard to go through- it's hard to leave what you've worked so hard to make your home. We love you both so very much and are so happy to have you back home! You know we are here for you and would help with anything you need. We love you!

Colby said...

"Regular" is overrated.

Welcome back. We hope to see you soon. And...a Phat kayak is ready fer you when yer ready fer it.

Laurie Bingham said...

Oh Ash,
I actually feel a little sad that you are so sad to leave. I bet the Belizians (I don't know if that is a real word) miss you so so much. Did you know I called your dad and talked to him yesterday? You were supposed to call me, but I bet your busy. Hopefully some day soon...?

Sarah said...

Welcome back home Ashley and Todd! I hope you can find some peace and comfort in being back here. I know your family is excited and so are your friends!

Laurie Bingham said...

Ash,
Call me @ 801-550-3321. I'll be waiting :)

mare said...

what the?? YOu're home??? yes yes yes. I'm so excited to see you guys. I couldn't help but notice you called her dad Larry-- you and Sare have a strange obsession I guess.

Call me when you're not feeling overwhelmed!! 801-833-2417 you know the drill.

Mica Clark-Peterek said...

We will miss you guys so much! Can't wait to hear more about what comes next! We love you!

Jen said...

All I have to really say is that you guys must be pretty freakin' amazing for doing everything you do. It's people like you that make this world so great.

Grandma Nancy said...

Toady and Ash, Welcome home. I know what you are feeling about leaving the wonderful memories and friends in Belize. When we went to Indiana, it was so hard to leave family and home, but now we consider Indiana our second home. I am sure you will feel the same about Belize. Anyway, we are happy to have you back here with us.

McKell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McKell said...

Ummm I cried for the the first three weeks (okay okay years) when I moved to Logan, I don't think you are abnormal. Well that or we all are. I am SO happy that you guys are home and I will sprint up the stairs 4 at a time to see you any day!
And just to throw in this nerdfest comment, if life were a game of chess you and Toad would be king and queen, two pieces you just can't live without. I love you guys enough to disappear :)

Timothy & Kimberly Pettitt said...

Welcome back friend! It is hard to go and move on from one stage to another...but there's always more exciting things waiting for you just around the corner! Love you Girl!

Anonymous said...

Yea!! I tried to call you at the first number you left and they told me that only Peter lived there. I will call you for sure! My number is 494-4684! I can't wait to see you!