2.14.2008

and we could all use a little change


well, i started finding myself so bored of our blog that i didn't even want to check our blog. so i can only imagine how everyone else was feeling. so anyway. i found myself bouncing down a dirt road long after dark in the middle of a jungle somewhere in central america and i started to feel weird. i hadn't heard from todd the whole day, i didn't know if he would be there to meet me when i got off. punta gorda seems like it is at the end of the world. "where the sidewalk ends" so to speak. and there is a long stretch of not much before you get there. the dust from the bus was making everything look foggy and creepy, by everything i mean lots of leafs and jungle and snakes. my face was almost pressed against the window trying to make something out when i heard a ghostly voice from behind me "friend, you going to punta gorda?" i wasn't sure about it so i leaned back toward my seat. again, "friend, you going to punta gorda?" "yes. are you?" "yes, i'm going to visit my grandmother." this was not the voice of a child, by the way. "oh" i said. "yes, and my cousin lives there, you probably know him" "i live in silk grass." "oh" he said. and then since we didn't have the cousin connection he said no more. i was a little worried he might move up by me, but luckily at the next stop another little guy sat by me. the lights came on briefly whenever we stopped, and whenever they did i would desperately read my book so i had something to think about when it got really dark again. suddenly i noticed the guy next to me leaning forward and toward me. his little eyes reading right along with me. and when the light turned off, he let out an audible gasp of sorrow. and we still had not spoken. this kept happening when ever the lights came on, and finally right before we got to punta gorda, he offered me a flash light, so i gave him a cookie.

and it's valentines day! happy one to everyone, and i love you todd!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very funny...and creepy story! Happy Valentine's day and I love and miss you tons!!

tiffy girl said...

Ashli,
I am the new enrichment leader in our ward. Just wondering if there are any service type things you need for the schools or anything like that. Let me know if we can help. Tiff

Amber said...

So what were you reading? Hope you have a happy valentine's day!

Chelli said...

Ashli!
That was an intense day! It was like I was reading a novel. I love your new blog look! Happy Valentine's Day! Love ya lots!

Laurie Bingham said...

Oh Ash,
I will never cease to be amazed at how awkwards seems to follow you. I am also glad you got to experience, "i said, if you want a ride..." Every girl needs that experience. I also love your new look! Peace out, Peace Corps friend! (no pun intended)

miranda said...

Sounds like a fun ride with the natives!! Hope you had a Happy Valentines Day!! We love you guys!

Debi said...

I am scared.

Taylor Family said...

Hey Ash,
Clint and I just wanted to wish you a happy Valentines day. I think it is great that you guys live in Belize. What an adventure. I love the videos so cool.

J. Melody said...

Love the new look. I've felt our blog is boring so we changed it up a bit too. Your story is kind of creepy. I can relate...

I once had an 80+ year old French man try to kiss me on a train. I thought we were having a nice little conversation in French, then he came at me saying "tus levres, tus levres"= your lips, your lips. (Don't tell my mom). I freaked out and ran to another coach.

Hope you had a romantic Valentines Day!
Jenn
p.s. The editor in me is begging for some paragraph breaks.

tiffy girl said...

That was a great read. I felt like I was just starting into some amazing novel and then it ended. Take care of toady and forget the paragraphs (sorry jen)
later
Pollywog

renostar said...

I love your akward stranger stories - you bring them to life for me and make me cringe. Nice blog layout by the way - very professional and autere. Now you guys mean buisiness with the blogging! I feel strangely motivated to update our blog because it is also very uninteresting to look at. Much love to you Ashli and Todd. We pine away for you and long for your return.

renostar said...

austere. How embarrassing...

mare said...

that made me feel real real weird. I wish I could've heard it from your own mouth. this story reminded me of Joon, my Korean fiance. What awkwardness is bliss.

Jen Bird said...

I seriously felt like I was reading an intense book, you really need to be an author. I got all scared and everything. :) You are hillarious...keep 'em com'n.

J. Melody said...

(Sorry about the paragraph comment. I had a migraine and was struggling to read anything online.)

Timothy & Kimberly Pettitt said...

Oh you are so creative in the way you tell things. You had me holding on suspensfully as I read! Happy Valentines Day to you! Love you girl!

Brandon Bales said...

ahh light bringing people together

mare said...

ahahahhahah. Ash, I just laughed for a solid five minutes out loud about orrin and JkP. For not knowing they were co-writers, I shame myself. I think that image will now become my stand-by image (you know the one) when I have nothing else to think about-- Orrin crying at his own song. And now that I've basically dined with the man, I feel justified in this personal connection. ahahaahaha. I almost can't handle it. This will keep me entertained for awhile- and for that, I thank you. Why am I writing a novel. i'll email you.

Shaun & April said...

Todd, Hey, saw your post on Miranda's. It's great to see what you two are up to. Sorry Ashli, we've never met yet. Just another cuz of Todd's Who isn't right? Check out our blog at www.kennankyson.blogspot.com. And Todd, I need you to give me running tips... I think I'm going to start training? Did I just say that out loud???