1.25.2008

we live in belize?





The other day as me and Todd rode home on our bikes from Hopkins on the Southern Highway,*racing against the sun, as that movie so justly titled it, we had a strange realization…. we had been hanging out all day with people that we knew. People we know here in Belize. We were thinking how strange it is that we actually have a legitimate life here and we KNOW people. We started out stopping at the bar off the highway as you drive thru silk grass to talk to Todd’s coworkers. At the bar we ran into a retired doctor that we know, Rich, that lives in Hopkins and he took our packs for us in his truck so we didn’t have to ride with them. As soon as we pulled into Hopkins we ran into our Peace Corps friend Christine who was sitting down to lunch. Then we rode passed Rich’s place and got our bags. Then we went to our Mormon Canadian friends resort house to do our laundry. We sat and talked to them for a while and then went and found our peace corps friends in town and had dinner. We ordered pizza from Hopkins Beach Club and when we picked it up it was Denroy who was working and who now knows us personally and asked us how we were doing. All the while as we rode our bikes and hung out in town we were waving at people whose shops we have stopped in or who have given us rides when we were hitch hiking. On our way out on the dirt road out of Hopkins, the driver of the Hopkins Bay van honked and waved. It was our friend Ernesto who we met hitch hiking and now several times since and who we now hang out with on occasion with the Canadians. Then the driver of the bus honked because he is from silk grass and we are usually on his 5 o clock bus leaving Dangriga. I guess what it comes down to is that all along we were expecting to live here, but we weren’t really expecting to have LIVES here. Suddenly it’s like we really live here. Weird.
*Racing against the Sun or whatever it is called, is a feature family film. anyone remember it?

16 comments:

Amber said...

That really would be a crazy, surreal realization. I'm glad you guys are doing so well there. Love you!

Jill said...

hey ash. that really is pretty amazing, that there you are and you're just living like any one else. its really rare for me to run into anyone i know in ny, but maybe we're just not as friendly here. i know the 'regulars' at the grocery store, and friends through church, and school. but other than that its really limited.

belize looks nice and warm. i'm sending my love & good vibes your way. :)

Chelli said...

Ashli!!
That is sooo awesome! Once again you just amaze me! I am very happy for you two!
I have been talking to your sweet mom today. I am helping her out with shower invites! I am glad to have you and your family in my life!

robinski said...

For the record, that little muscle tee number you're wearing is not okay. But it makes me so happy that you have an American flag headband (at least that's what it looks like) and I'm extra glad at the weirdness of your life. When I drove to work the past couple mornings, it's been -10ish. So at least you have that.

J. Melody said...

I think you've made more friends there in 7 months than we've made in SLC in 3 years. Maybe we just live here and still need to make a "life" here. Food for thought. Glad you're doing so well! Thanks for the facebook update.
xoxo
Jenn and belly

Laurie Bingham said...

Oh Ash,
I love your life...how un-normal things are suddenly normal. That seems to happen wherever you go: fom Logan to Hawaii... I saw Zane at Smith's and heard from Enos. Go figure.

McKell said...

"Appetite for Destruction" eh Ash. I love the flaming garbage shots, makes me feel grateful for my garbage can.

Sara said...

I feel glad that you get to do your laundry at the durgeses house! that is a stroke of luck. do you have to ride in with it on your backs though? and does that take a bit of the luck out of it? love you-

sar

Anonymous said...

I still hate that you are there.

wild murdocks said...

I love the foliage photo! Are the little seed pods hanging from long vine strands? How amazingly green and delightful!

I'm glad your immersing yourself in the culture and town. The next step is to punta in a beauty contest. please?

Cali said...

Ash
Like large said. I love that you have a way of making the not normal become normal. However, most of all I love that you referenced Race Against the Sun. Do I remember it? Do I remember balling my eyes out and confessing to my brother Abe (he was watching it with me) that I too would give my life for him. I love reading about your crazy life... hope you don't mind.

Janine Murdock said...

I'm so glad you are finally settling in and feel at home in your home away from home. This has been such a harsh winter, the sunshine in Belize is pretty inviting. We are patiently waiting for the arrival of baby Everett and will let you know as soon as he arrives. We love to read your blog and feel a part of your lives.
Did you hear that the prophet passed away last Sunday? Funeral services are on Saturday. He was such an inspiration to us all. He will be greatly missed.
Love to you both.....
Mom Janine

Debi said...

Hey Ashli. I have been anonymously viewing your blog for quite some time and have been too idiotic to leave a comment. I hope you're not mad. I like you're life in foreign lands and am a teeny bit jealous, but mostly just excited that you're doing adventurous things that Matt and I talk about doing all the time. bye.
debi youngs

wild bri said...

Take me down to the Paradise City!
That is awesome that you got Axl Rose to come and burn your garbage. I was wondering what he was up to these days, who knew, or is that Ashli wearing a GNR t-shirt. Looks warm and green

Peace Out

wild murdocks said...

I'm sorry Brian used the term "Peace Out"

Saysha said...

Ash-What a life! You are doing such cool things that people don't even dream of doing! You're awesome..hope all is going well!